Friday, August 15, 2008

Drink of the Week: Cherry Tomato Martini

Did I mention we were in Providence last weekend? Maybe I mighta.

Anyhoo, while we there we had drinks at Local 121, a restaurant and bar near our hotel. Their cocktail list is heavily skewed toward the vodka end of the spectrum but they did have two or three gin cocktails on their list. I tried an Heirloom Tomato Martini made with New Amsterdam gin. The drink was a little too sweet for me, but all in all, it was well-crafted.

I thought I'd try a version with some of our delicious Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. They are gloriously sweet, but have a tart edge. I decided to throw a little basil into the mix too.

The happy result? Cocktail and salad! The only drawback? This concoction was drinkable. It was very refreshing and I knocked it back faster than I meant to.

Cherry Tomato Martini

In a mixing glass or the bottom of a cocktail shaker, muddle together:
  • 3 cherry tomatoes
  • sprig of basil
Add ice and:
  • 2 ounces gin (I used Miller's)
  • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
Pop the top of your shaker on and shake until well chilled. Double strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment